A good, fresh looking chicken will always be the most vital aspect of this task. As mentioned earlier the first styling tasks are to look for the best ingredients available you can find. If it have to take you to wake in the early hour of the day to find this ‘actor’ by all means you have to do it. It is not impossible here in Malaysia for us to look for freshly slaughtered and carefully dressed chicken. So what you need for this task:
1. Fresh and carefully dressed, proportionate chicken.
2. Aluminum foil.
3. Panting brushes.
4. Thread – strong and thin (fine)
5. Pins / needles.
6. For coloring – caramel. Thick and thin soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar syrup and oil.
7. Roasting pan.
8. Freshly selected vegetables
9. Sauce (optional)
10. Props and tools - crockery, utensils etc
Once you feel that you get the right color that you want, untied the chicken, and paint it where the thread may leave a visible mark. Prepare a plate or casserole depending on how you want to present your roast chicken. Arrange it and visualize on how you want it to appear in a photograph. Be careful of the chicken jus and dripping it may wet you plate so you need to be fast. Before that you got to prepare the accompaniment – vegetables, starches and sauce where appropriate.